Is it ever advised to give up while pursuing my goal? If so, how do I know it’s the ideal time? What can help me make the right decision? What should I do when I entertain second thoughts about my long-term goal?
All else equal, pursuing a long-range goal entails the decision phase, which represents the starting point of the goal-setting process as discussed in my book. The journey encompasses the various approaches you devise to reach your goal. The destination is where you are heading. These three together inspire your actions. There’s no going back after embarking on a life transformation journey. Therefore, the principle of flexibility doesn’t apply to a life-changing decision. However, flexibility matters for the process and the destination itself.
A goal-setter would be more flexible with the journey and less so regarding their destination. Flexibility, as it relates to the destination, represents a big-bet decision that needs to be carried out strategically, methodically, and meticulously. Holding steadfastly to one’s destination is one of the most valuable elements on the success menu of life. If one applies all the goal-setting principles and adjusts themselves to the laws of nature, they are almost certain to reach their goals.
In the lines that follow, I will walk you through thirteen pertinent questions that can help you determine if changing direction is the right choice.
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how much would you rate your indecision?
- Are you shifting your destination because you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel?
- How would you explain the decision to quit to a five-year-old child?
- Would you consider backtracking if you had a billion US dollars in the bank?
- Are you doubting because of laziness?
- Twenty years from now, would you be proud of your decision?
- Has another more attractive opportunity presented itself?
- If so, does it satisfy your original purpose?
- Do you consider yourself fickle?
- Has anyone influenced your judgment?
- Have you given your best to achieve your long-term goal?
- Are you pursuing a new goal that stretches you beyond your limitations?
- Why did you choose your current path?
These thirteen questions always help provide clarity whenever I feel stuck. I hope you find them helpful, too. They aren’t normative, but suggestive and thought-provoking. Sometimes, all we need is the right question, and all doubt melts away.